Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tofruity.

I started making this evenings dinner at 7:45 this morning. I set out the tofu blocks between two dinner plates to squeeze out some of the liquid content. By 10:45 they were ready to be marinated in a mixture of fresh squeezed orange juice (we didn't have any from concentrate but we did have oranges) soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and coriander (we didn't have the fresh ginger either). First I sliced them into thinner slabs so we now had four steaks ready to go. These were marinated until dinner time. I started with some sliced onions, mushrooms and red peppers and sauteed them. I set them aside and in the same pan on pretty high heat I cooked the tofu steaks. About three minutes a side. I made the mistake of adding in the leftover marinade well before they were done and this really cooled down the pan. Next time I will wait to add in the marinade until everything is really cooked. In the end it all thickened up nicely and after putting the sauteed veggies on top of the steaks I ladled it over. With some peas, corn and rice on the side it was a fabulous and vegan meal. Who knew.

Wow did I ever get that rice overexposed. Good thing it wasn't over cooked.

No comments: