Thursday, March 12, 2009

Super Curry

No pictures, no comment.

I started todays curry in the afternoon and gave myself plenty of time to make it. The result. Pretty darn good curry if I do say so myself. The only real issue was that I cooked it down too much. It ended up being quite thick and flavourful. Here is the breakdown of how I made it.
I started with diced onions, mushrooms and red peppers. One med onion, 6 mushrooms and a whole med red pepper. I sweated them on about four (my medium is between 5 and 6) until the onions were starting to go transparent and then I transferred it all to a bowl. With some more oil in the pan (it is a deep fry pan that we got from my older sister) I turned up the heat to about 6 and I added minced garlic 2 large cloves and minced ginger (a similar amount to the garlic) then I threw in two pretty thick pork loin steaks worth of cubed pork. I fried this for a bit and then once the pork was cooked to white on at least one side I added the spices. 1.5 tbsp madras curry powder, 1 t turmeric, 1/4 t paprika ( I would increase this if it weren't for the kids), 1/2 t ground cloves, 2-3 t salt. I continued to fry this adding a bit more oil every time everything got too dry. Once most of the pink was gone from the pork and we had the good fragrance going I added 2-3 cups of water and all of the vegetable stuffs. I also added maybe 1.5 tbsp of vinegar and 6 or 7 shots of worchester sauce. I also added a diced large carrot at this point. I got this boiling turned down the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour. Then I added about 2 tbsp of ketchup. The wife said I should added some cocoa powder at this point but I chickened out. Maybe next time. After I mixed this all around I took one cup of milk and one tbsp of flour and put them in a sealed container. I shook this vigorously and then poured the combined ingrediants into the curry and brought the heat back up. Here is where I messed up. I didn't turn it down to like 2 for a good simmer. I went and got involved in something else and didn't return until the wife said, "what about the curry." By this point I had reduced the liquid by half. It would have been perfect if I had just brought up the heat and then stirred it until it thickened. Then I could have turned it off and left it for dinner. In any case I believe it is my best from scratch curry ever and that is why I took the time to write it all down. Hopefully it will help me remember what I did next time.It was report card day. Everything continues as normal. However, it seems that sometimes the social is getting in the way of the academic. We really need to ... What am I talking about, she's six. Just gotta keep enjoying school at this point.

No comments: