Tuesday, March 17, 2009

That damn CBC.

So I got my weekly podcast from the CBC radio show Ideas last night. They are talking about health in later life in the series they are podcasting right now. They trace it all back to your birth weight and how much you were talked to and how much stress you had as a child. These are apparently (see how I snuck the word parent in there, 2 points for me) both related to how healthy your mother was and whether she was living in poverty or not. At one point they take a huge shot at the North American diet's lack of diversity saying a greek peasant will spend about $3.00 and eat better than the president of the United States. (Should president be capitolized. Yeah I'm sure thats what he'd like me to think) They talked about the variety that will consitute a Europeans meal, consisting of up to 20 different food items. So that was what I was going for this evening. I did manage to get carrots into both the roasted chicken dish and the green salad. When I do the count here is how it goes, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, yams, with the roast chicken. Then lettuce, celery, green pepper, and carrots again in the salad. I am only at nine. Now I did have salad dressing and two varieties of ice cream for dessert but I am still only up to twelve. Frick a du da day. How does one get to twenty? Regularly?

Okay I am not really that stressed. The real point I am taking away is that trying to get variety over quantity is healthy. So more veggies in smaller portions in the salad. A 2nd or 3rd side dish when possible. I am not looking forward to going back to work in 13 days.

(the next day)
Ps. I forgot about the tomatoes that were roasted with the chicken. So lets call it 14.

No comments: