Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Then there were two.

With two sleeps remaining in GF before we start our big summer excursion I am starting to get pretty excited. There is also that nervous feeling that goes along with travelling. Will we forget a passport? Will someone get ill and not be able to travel (bought the cancellation insurance, phew)? I really hope to be able to relax and just enjoy being in Japan. I know that the smartest thing to do would be to start making some serious plans for when we are over there but I just can't wrap my head around it right now. We are people who live better when we have plans. We just don't often have them. The last two weeks feel like they have been super planned, yet all we did was have two birthday parties and a garage sale. For someone who is without a day job that really isn't that much. I should get on that but then again, is life really passing me by if I have an hour long nap everyday at 2? Do I need to rise before ten? How important is having breakfast? I mean, I like cereal for lunch. So this indecisiveness will continue to plague me. Do I need to be more organized to enjoy my vacation time? I do not know. As for dinner we did have a plan. Only we forgot to buy pasta. I mean I was at the bank, the dump, the recycling place, and the high school (printing our e-tickets) today and just totally blanked on shopping. So I made pizza dough, cooked it on the pizza stone on the barbecue and then ladled pasta sauce over top. Instant-esque pizza. No cheese. The kids had the tiny amount of remaining bow tie (is it farfalle) pasta. The sauce was pretty good but the wife pointedly noticed I had not added the mushrooms. So she sauteed these on the side and then mounted them on top of the aforementioned pizza. Mushrooms deserve to be cooked and served on their own. They just rock. There was some mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert and then we went to play ultimate. It was awesome as we managed to talk our house sitter into coming out and we had 3 on 3. Great workout. I must sheepishly admit that during the second water break I took off my cleats and was the reason we did not have a third session. We had this marathon point to end the second session and I was done. That and we had scored the marathon point and I wanted to end on a high note. But it was great and things hopefully bode well for September. All we need is like 3 or 4 more people and we could get 4 on 4 with subs. That would be awesome.

In other news today the wife scored a job. Not a real job but perhaps a stepping stone to a career. Our friend the baker said he would be happy to take her on as a volunteer, you know hang around, see whats going on, lend a hand, sell some stuff, do some dishes. The wifes goal is to slowly learn the bakery business and one day a week for a couple of hours sounded great to everyone. So yeah this fall is gonna be great. Maybe we should spend our time in Japan scouting locations for our dream bakery spot with backyard garden. Who knows where life will take us. I was going to go with a Groundhog Day line ( Well its brought you here, Yeah which is a million miles from where I started in college, what you weren't in broadcasting, no I studied 18th century french poetry, what a waste of time, I mean for somebody else that would be a waste of time, ) but I didn't know if anyone would get it and it is awfully long and if I had ended at a million miles would anyone have gotten it. I want to believe so but yet. Anyways, I have really rambled tonight. This pic of the kids was taken exactly fifteen seconds after one was in tears and the other was screaming. Amazing the effect the word "smile" has on people.

No comments: