Sunday, June 7, 2009

Simple Sunday


With a busy weekend behind us we didn't have much left energy or enthusiasm for this evenings meal. We also didn't go shopping so weren't exactly stocked with ingredients. However, with the staples and scraps that I managed to scrape together I made a vegetarian pasta sauce. It turned out really well. I started with a base of chopped onion, mushroom and garlic. Before I threw this into the hot oil I made a last second addition of some minced fresh ginger. It made all the difference. As this sauteed I chopped up most of a zucchini, and our sole remaining red pepper. I also opened a can of crushed tomatoes and a can of brown beans in tomato sauce. These were added with liberal amounts of salt, pepper, and vinegar. It was good. Very flavourful but not overpowering. Kids both had two plus helpings. The picture here is of my second bowl. I ended up using a whole bag of the pasta shells. I thought it might have been too much but after everyone ate and I put together the school lunches for tomorrow there is probably exactly the right amount for mom and son to have it for lunch as well. So we are up to a bag of pasta for a meal. How long till that is not enough? Some day soon I bet.

No comments: