Sunday, June 8, 2008

Simply Sunday

Well my simple dinner plans won out this evening. On the way back from playing frisbee and soccer at the elementary school up the street, my daughter and I were surprised to see the wife and son riding towards us. Earlier, I had woken from my nap only to find said daughter packing. She was had been planning to run away because everyone else was having a nap. So we had gone to the park to play while mom and son slept on. As the family congregated on the road the decision was made to go and get some groceries for dinner. We bought a steak, some veggies, milk and ... maybe that was it. Back at the ranch I threw the steak on the barbecue. Red onions and minced garlic were sauteed before adding red peppers and green beans. We were out of mushrooms, I guess I put them all in the curry. Rats. Spices and a can of crushed tomatoes later the sauce was bubbling. I had turned the steak once in the mean time and now I brought it inside. I sliced it up (some hyena's made off with a fair portion of it but I scared them off with the big knife and some cussing) and here was the big mistake. I put it in with the sauce. I should have kept it aside and put it on top of the noodles before ladling on the sauce. It was still pretty good but the whole barbecue effect was lost. Rats number two. The salad dressing was a new number, fresh ground rhubarb, maple syrup, dijon mustard, vinegar and a little bit of oil. It really does just keep getting better and better. By the way the sun shone today so we mowed the lawn, weeded a massive section of the garden, and even managed to get the trimmer out. Just a little bit of paradise here. Doors open, make yourself at home. We're expecting you. Soon.

No comments: