Friday, October 9, 2009

Chili and Chees Bread.


Well no mystery here. That is what we had for dinner. It was the vegetarian chili and here is what I did right. I sauteed the onions on 4 and had some finely diced carrots in with them. Once these were starting to brown I added two cloves worth of minced garlic but not so fine it was mush. Also added about 8 diced small mushrooms. This was sauteed further. Next I added a can of crushed and a can of diced tomatoes. For seasoning I added one tablespoon each of cumin, coriander and chili powder. I added maybe five tbsp of vinegar and a generous pour of molasses. Probably a tbsp of salt and a bunch of shakes of pepper. Next up were the beans, one brown in tom sauce, one black and one kidney. Finally, some finely sliced celery stalks with some home grown green peppers and eggplant. I had turned it up to six when I put the tomatoes in and now I turned it back down to four. 20 minutes later down further to 2. 20 minutes later turned it off and let it sit.

The cheese bread was a store bought crusty french loaf, split down the middle. I mixed margarine with crushed garlic and spread that on both loaves. Then I covered them with slices of cheese and baked them at 400. This also pre-heated the oven for the wife's pumpkin pies. But that is a story for another day.

Back to the main course, this was the vegetarian chili I always plan to make. It is the vegetarian chili I like. Lots of flavour. I am amazed at how often I am unable to make it. Practice practice practice I guess. I would have added a bunch of jalapenos or chili peppers if the kids weren't eating it but that is my life right now. Some day my food will be spicy again. Probably right around the time I am told by my doctor not to eat spicy food.

No comments: