Saturday, October 25, 2008

Of conferences and championships

Well yesterday(Friday) was the work day, the reason we all were in Vancouver to begin with. I have to admit the Math conference was good and I am coming back to my classroom with some ideas for change. Always change. I guess that is truly the only constant. One lecturer I listened to has been doing this for over 30 years, is recognized as being a master teacher demonstrating practically every best practice you can imagine. And here he is saying he is just figuring out a bunch of stuff and is really looking forward to some of the changes he is planning to implement. Damn... 30 years later and still trying to get it right. Daunting to say the least.

After that I picked up the fam with the curry that has been mentioned elsewhere (sis's blog) and we went and watched some short track speed skating. That Apollo Anton Ohno is something to see. He just blew the other guys in his heat out of the water.

After watching and banging our noise makers together for an hour and a half we headed to Chez Sis and Bro and had a lovely family dinner night. I enjoyed some politics and business in the kitchen over a scotch while the kids and aunts watched anastasia in the living room. Its at least the trappings of adulthood. I don't think anyone is going to buy it but I thought I would give it a try. All the pics were taken on someone elses camera so if you followed the link above you have already seen them.

After getting in the Burnaby lake run this morning we had a nice lunch at mom's and then packed up and headed out. After almost seven hours we finally arrived home at 8:40 Saturday evening. Tomorrow should be a full day trying to pick up the pieces after two days out of my classroom. Lots of big ideas to work on tomorrow. Here is the kids back at home, picking up right where they left off. The son is being dressed and is pretending he is a cat. Good times.

No comments: